The final countdown is definitely on! Today is our last official full day of the three of us. Tomorrow is Holden’s last day of summer camp. His camp had an Olympic theme, so tomorrow is “closing ceremony” day. Isn’t that the cutest! We also visited the home daycare that Helen will be off to on Monday morning to drop off a crazy amount of supplies. With all the forms and things to buy, I felt like we were sending her off to college or something! I know I will be a hot mess on Monday morning for several reasons…1) I will have to be up and out the door WAY earlier than my normal for the last 4.5 months (hoping to be in the car on the way no later than 6:45 each day!). 2) I’ll be thinking/worrying about how the loading and dispersing of children will go for the Mr. 3) I feel way attached to Helen (sorry Holden! Mommy loves you!) at this point in her life versus how I felt about Holden and going back to work. 4) I have to figure out how/when/where to pump for this continued breastfeeding project. 5) I’m going to have OODLES to do when I get to work!
Let’s defer that hot mess-ness for a few more days!
On this last full day, we are planning to do a few simple summer favorites. A trip to the playground and the library is on the agenda. Holden also made a special request for a visit to our local frozen yogurt place. I’m totally in agreement! We plan on heading there after lunch.
In an effort to be a little more excited about back-to-school, I purchased some inexpensive decorations at Target back in July. I really love how the few items look on our mantle.
I always feel unsure how to decorate for this time of year. Summer’s over, but fall stuff seems silly! I am excited about lots of events this fall. Let’s list a few and focus on some fun!
- CHKD Make-a-Scarecrow – This is a great local event that benefits the children’s hospital. All proceeds go to the hospital! We’ve done it for the past three years. My mom has always been a main participant, but we’ve had Aunt Dee Dee, my dad, and the Mr. join us for some years. Register here!
- Aunt Brooke & Uncle Michael’s Wedding – We’re looking forward to that in October! Holden is the ring bearer. We’ve already got him measured for his dapper outfit.
- Pumpkin Carving – I can’t wait to do all these little things with Helen.
- Halloween! – Our Granny is coming to visit for the big day. Holden is dictating an Indian theme for everyone, and he is insistent that he needs a spear, tomahawk, bow & arrow, plus any other possible projectile weapon his brain can think up!
- Hunting Season – Not my most favorite time of the year, but I am happy for the Mr. He works hard all the time wether he’s at actual work or at home. Plus, he’s a pretty good at the leisurely “family” stuff aka schlepping our stuff to the beach this summer and just generally packing the car (and unpacking!) for all of our trips. Not to mention all the other things he does to make “us” work! I hope he has a great hunting season!
- Opera – My sister wants to go to the opera for her birthday. I am not an opera person, but I’m always up for spending time with my mom and sister. We’re hoping to go to The Barber of Seville when it’s in town in November. If you’re local, buy tickets here!
- Soccer Season – Holden (and we are too!) is so excited about soccer starting up again! I was on the fence about signing him up for the fall season, but I think it will be great. We got him some cleats this time which he is in love with (gently used cleats for $9 – great for feet that grow fast! We got them at Play It Again Sports.). He even played outside on Wednesday morning for about 40 minutes. I got quite the view while I finished my coffee and breakfast!
Isn’t that a good nail polish color?! It’s Sonic Bloom from Sally Hansen Insta-Dry. Get it here! I have absolutely no time for nail polish that takes forever to dry!
- Thanksgiving – I just love Thanksgiving. We visit family on the Eastern Shore for this holiday. I confess that my most favorite part of Thanksgiving is that it is the official start of the CHRISTMAS SEASON. After all, my name does mean “Christmas gift!” 😉
What are you looking forward to in the fall?
Any favorite fall traditions?
How do you feel about the opera? I’m thinking my mom will either hate it or have a Julia Roberts’ experience in Pretty Woman and love it. Can’t wait to see!
Have a great Thursday!